Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Collard Greens with Apple and Balsamic


It's been a while since I've posted. I've had a billion things to do and have felt like I've been falling behind in everything. Only in the last few days have I been able to tie off some of my loose ends and move on. That means that I have the leisure to blog again, and perhaps get caught up on some posts that I've had on the back burner.

I made these collard greens with apple and balsamic vinegar almost a month ago. Collards are incredibly healthy and can be very easy to prepare. This preparation blanches them before stir-frying to speed up the cooking process. The light, crisp apple is a nice contrast to the dense, almost meaty greens, and the balsamic provides a lovely acidic sweetness at the end.

This could be a nice addition to your Thanksgiving table - a nice light contrast to the heavy traditional side dishes.

Collard Greens with Apple and Balsamic
From The Best of Food and Wine 1995.
 
1/2 lb collard greens
1 1/2 tbsp canola oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 small tart apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced lengthwise (I used a freshly-picked Winesap)
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Remove the stems and center ribs from the collard greens. (I fold mine in half along the stem and pull the leaves down. They should tear off neatly from the stems. I learned this from Paula Deen before I'd ever even considered trying collards.) Chop the leaves into bite-sized pieces.

Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Cook the collards for 5 minutes, then drain and set aside.


In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook 2 minutes, until softened, stirring frequently. Add the apple slices and cook another 2 minutes, until tender.


Add the collards to the pan and stir until well combined. Increase the heat to high, add the balsamic vinegar and cook, stirring constantly, for a minute or two, until greens are coated. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper, and serve. Easy peasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment