Friday, November 11, 2011

Sweet Potato French Toast


The end of daylight savings time has some nice perks. Because Jeff and I have been waking up at the crack of dawn (he may contest this, but I certainly wake up when he does, even if I refuse to get up some days), we have time to do fun things in the morning, like experiment with French toast!

I bought a loaf of soft sweet potato bread from Whole Foods yesterday. When I was exploring the refrigerator this morning, contemplating breakfast, it struck me that this would make a brilliant French toast. I was not disappointed.

Other than the idea, I take no credit for this recipe at all. I simply stood by and watched Jeff do his thing. The distribution of labor in our kitchen is a bit idiosyncratic. I am responsible for masterminding the menu, procuring foodstuffs and making sure perishable items get used in a timely manner. I take care of the prepping and chopping, most of the side dishes and all of the baking. Jeff is responsible for handling and preparing meats as well as all breakfast foods. (While I think myself equal to throwing down a batch of pancakes or waffles if I had to, there are some breakfast things, like any style of eggs, at which I am hopeless. Jeff's breakfast mastery is not likely to be challenged any time soon.) So this morning, once I had suggested my brilliant plan, I stepped back onto the sidelines and let Jeff take action. This is what he did:

Sweet Potato French Toast
A la Jeff.

2 eggs
2 tbsp butter
4 slices sweet potato bread
2 tsp cinnamon sugar

extra butter and maple syrup, to taste!





Preheat a griddle over medium-low heat. Add 2 tbsp butter (you can use a knife to spread it around where you plan on placing your bread). In a shallow dish, crack the eggs and beat lightly with a fork. One at a time, dip each slice of bread into the egg, turning to coat well.


Place the slice carefully on the griddle, sprinkle with about 1/2 tsp cinnamon sugar, and repeat with the other three slices. Cook 4-5 minutes, until the egg begins to turn golden brown.


Flip each slice and cook another minute or two until the other side is caramelized (our griddle was too hot at this point, so the sugar burned on several of the slices - it might be a good idea to turn the griddle down for the second side). Serve topped with extra butter and maple syrup for a delicious fall treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment