Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Lemon-Yogurt Potato Salad with Fresh Herbs



Since I teased you about my awesome potato salad in some previous posts, I thought I should be nice and post the recipe. I was never a potato salad person until I started making my own, because I can't stand mayonnaise. But when it occurred to me that, if I did it myself, I could do it without mayonnaise, potato salad became the greatest thing ever.

I've made yogurty, herby potato salads before and enjoyed them, but this one is special. I think it's because of a little trick Jamie Oliver uses in the original recipe. He says to boil the potatoes and then mix them with the dressing while they're still hot. When you do this, the starches from the potatoes seem to blend with the dressing, making it thicker and making it stick to the potatoes more effectively. The result is a pile of yummy, gooey, herby, lemony goodness. I've eaten it hot right after mixing and cold from a night in the fridge. I've had it on my deck with a turkey burger straight from the grill and packed in a cooler for a picnic in the park with some of my neighbors. It never fails to be delicious. The next time I'm invited to a summer barbecue, you know this is what I'm bringing.

Lemon-Yogurt Potato Salad with Fresh Herbs
Adapted from Jamie Oliver's Evolution Potato Salad in Jamie's Food Revolution.

1 1/2 - 2 lbs potatoes
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 c plain yogurt
2 - 3 tbsp fresh herbs (this time, I used parsley, oregano and garlic chives)
salt and pepper to taste




Put a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Salt well.

Chop the potatoes into (relatively) evenly sized chunks. (Since we all know there is no way to make a knobbly potato into even cubes without a ton of waste. Mine tend to be an inch or so at their wides - as long as they're not too big for your mouth, they're fine.) When the water is boiling, carefully add them to the pot. Boil 10-12 minutes, until tender.

Meanwhile, make the dressing. In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice and yogurt until well blended. Season to taste.


Wash and chop your herbs, then add them to the dressing and whisk together.


When the potatoes are tender, drain them in a colander and add them to the dressing and toss until combined. Taste and season more, if necessary (and try not to eat it all yourself!). Serve immediately or chill for later.


No comments:

Post a Comment