Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Cranberry Bread


Since posting about cranberry ketchup in October, I've quietly gone through at least five pounds of fresh New Jersey cranberries. When I spy that bin at the farmers market, I can't contain myself. I need more of the jewel-like berries that keep so nicely in my refrigerator or freezer. And because I keep buying them, I have to come up with tasty cranberry-laden recipes to try.

I thought a nice quick bread would be a great way to enjoy some of my stash, but when I started looking through recipes, most required ingredients I didn't have on hand (namely oranges). I'm not a huge fan of cranberry-orange anyway. I thought I was going to have to make something up myself . . . then I found this recipe from Martha Stewart. Martha clearly knew what I was looking for - not an insipid little loaf with a handful of sweetened, dried cranberries, but one packed with bright, fresh fruits. It makes for a very tart, but satisfying, final product. And since it's rather low-cal (without trying to be - those cranberries take up a lot of space), it's one holiday treat you won't feel guilty about!

Cranberry Bread
Adapted from Martha Stewart.

4 tbsp butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 c flour
1 c light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
3/4 c milk
12 oz cranberries (fresh or frozen, not dried - and don't forget to pick them over to remove any stems or rotten berries)

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Set aside.


In another bowl (I actually prefer to do this in my pyrex measuring cup - I measure out the milk, then add everything else to it), combine the egg, milk and butter. Pour the wet mixture onto the dry mixture and stir to combine. Fold in cranberries.


Coat a loaf pan with baking spray. Spoon the dough into the loaf pan and spread evenly.


Bake for 75 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes or so, then remove to a wire rack. Enjoy!

1 comment: