Friday, June 7, 2013

Farm Fridays: Lemony Collard Greens Pasta


Today was an icky day. Besides the unending rain brought by this tropical storm, the extremely irritating cold I've been fighting for nearly two weeks decided to strengthen this morning. Every time I seem to be recovering, I have a busy day and end up relapsing. Yesterday morning I got up early, went to the farm, got home, showered, changed, drove through traffic to campus and lectured for two hours, did grocery shopping and went to the podiatrist. I couldn't even relax in the evening since I had promised my students that I would comment on their paper drafts when I got home. So I wasn't surprised when I woke up after 10 this morning with my head clogged and throbbing. Very little got done today. Hopefully all this rest will help me shake this thing.

I did manage to do some of my weekend food projects today. I made a big batch of vegetable stock and another of maple pecan granola. My vegetable garden also got watered (ok, I guess I can't really take credit for the inch and a half of rain that fell today - it did save me some work, though!).

On icky, lazy days like this, I don't want to spend time cooking. This is a good recipe for days like these. Just cook some pasta, saute some greens, and toss everything together. No fuss, tasty food, and back lazing on the couch within minutes.

Lemony Collard Greens Pasta
Slightly adapted from Cookie and Kate.
 
8 oz collard greens
8 oz whole wheat pasta (I used gobbetti)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 c sunflower seeds
1 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
juice of 1/2 lemon

Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 c of pasta water.

Meanwhile, remove the stems from the collard greens (fold each one in half and gently pull down to tear the leaves away from the thick stem). Roll the leaves up into a log and slice them into a chiffonade.


Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and stir for about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the collard greens and saute 4-5 minutes, until tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.


When the pasta is done, drain (reserving 1/2 c water) and return to the pot. Combine with the collards mixture, sunflower seeds, Parmesan cheese, and lemon juice. If necessary, add some of the pasta water as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment