Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Cranberry-Pecan Oatmeal Cookies


It's cookie-making time! I started the week with an intimidating list of Christmas cooking and baking projects. So far, though, everything is going swimmingly. Most of my cookie baking is complete, both for desserts and edible gifts, and what's left is definitely do-able in the time I have available.

I look forward to holidays and family gatherings as a time to bake some of the new, fun recipes that I've been stockpiling. However, this seems to please me more than everybody else. When it comes to gifting, I fall back on the old standards that my family always asks for. These oatmeal cookies are one of my specialties. This batch is for my Grandma - she insists that I shouldn't buy her any presents and that she doesn't need anything, but these cookies always bring a smile to her face.

These cookies are just as good for gifting as they are for munching on a weekday afternoon. It's a great all-purpose recipe to have around. I think Santa would appreciate it if you left some out for him, too!

Cranberry-Pecan Oatmeal Cookies
Adapted from Southern Living Best of Barbecue cookbook.

1 c butter, softened
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c rolled oats
1 c dried cranberries
1 c chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375° F. 

In a stand mixer, beat the butter until creamy, then add the sugars. 


Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually add this to the butter mixture until everything is well moistened. Stir in oats, raisins and pecans. Drop in teaspoon-sized pieces (mine are probably a bit larger) onto greased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes, until lightly browned.


Cool on a wire rack. These can also be frozen if you want to make them ahead of time.


No comments:

Post a Comment