Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tuscan Lemon Muffins


I made these muffins last week. I still don't know how I feel about them.

I was looking for a recipe that would use up some leftover ricotta cheese and lemons. I was also looking for breakfast. This seemed to fit the bill.

Muffins are always quick, and these were no exception. It's a very easy recipe to whip up and toss into the oven. So far, it doesn't sound so bad . . .

The problem is the flavor. They are lemony, yes. But they're also cheesy. I don't normally think of ricotta as a cheesy cheese, but there was clearly something cheesy about these muffins. Weird, right? Ricotta does give baked goods a bit of a spongy texture, so I expected that. But I didn't expect the the cheesiness. Perhaps it was the brand of ricotta I used (Organic Valley). Perhaps it was the strength of my lemon. I'm not sure.

Would I do this recipe again? I'm still on the fence. I haven't written it on a recipe card, which suggests that I don't plan on keeping it. Then again, I haven't gotten rid of the magazine page yet. It's an average muffin. Low calorie and good for breakfast, uses up annoying leftover ingredients, but not something I'll be craving in the middle of the night.

October roses in the backyard.

Tuscan Lemon Muffins
From Cooking Light May 2011.

1 3/4 c flour
3/4 c sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c ricotta cheese
1/2 c water
1/4 c olive oil
zest from one lemon
juice from one lemon
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp demerera sugar

Preheat oven to 375° F.

Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine ricotta, water, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and egg. Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir until just moist.


Lightly coat a muffin pan with baking spray. Divide the batter among the cups (I got a dozen muffins). Sprinkle demerera sugar on top of each muffin. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.


Cool in the pan 5 minutes, then remove and serve or store. (I found that these freeze well.)


No comments:

Post a Comment