Sunday, April 10, 2011

Indian-Spiced Cauliflower and Tomatoes


Have I mentioned that I love cauliflower? I think I have. Roasted cauliflower is the best - the roasting brings out an almost nutty flavor. The only negative might be that the cauliflower can dry out a bit with roasting.

This recipe fixes that - the juice from the tomatoes soaks into the cauliflower and adds moisture, as well as flavor. On top of that, the Indian spices, cilantro and lemon juice provide a huge flavor kick. It's a tremendously tasty side dish, and incredibly simple - just toss everything in a bowl and roast. This is quickly becoming my favorite way to eat cauliflower - and, for that matter, tomatoes, which I do not normally eat. I'm not a fan of their squishy texture, but the roasting takes some of that away. The other thing I like about this recipe is that I can really taste every one of the flavors - it seems to have a lot of ingredients, but all of them make a difference. And who doesn't mind cranking up the stove on a chilly April evening?


Indian-Spiced Cauliflower and Tomatoes
From Food Network.

7 c cauliflower, cut into florets (I just chose the biggest head I could find at the store)
3 plum tomatoes, chopped (I didn't use plum tomatoes, but I have a hunch they would work better - less pulp and seeds to deal with)
1/4 c olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp cumin seed
1/4 tsp turmeric
pinch cayenne
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste
lemon juice
cilantro




Toss all ingredients except lemon juice and cilantro together in a bowl. Transfer to a foil-lined baking sheet.


Roast at 450° F for 25 minutes (didn't I say this was easy?). Garnish with a squirt of lemon juice and some cilantro and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment